Recently, there has been much talk concerning the “Spirit of Jezebel”, which for me made a very interesting subject to discuss here at Tea Among Family.
There are many people who wish to label women only as a “Jezebel.” However, men and women alike can equally fit the description. Many people have been misled to believe that to be labeled a Jezebel, that this spirit only involves sexual immorality, dressing promiscuously, and who may wear in their opinion too much makeup. Nope!
In the study of scripture (1 & 2 Kings primarily, with references also in the book of Revelation)we find that there are characteristics that any gender is capable of possessing. Yes, that’s right men can also posses a Jezebel Spirit too. Let’s look into this subject for clarification.
In the Bible, Jezebel was a powerful, wicked queen, and wife of a passive king called Ahab. She was a false prophetess who worshiped the false god, Baal. Baal was the god of prosperity, god of the harvests, god of fertility and sex. (Does this sound like some of the modern day gospels that some people preach?)
- Child sacrifices were common. She was killed by several eunuchs at the order of commander Jehu.
Jezebel was a witch, and her spirit of witchcraft is still in operation today in the church, and in the world. It will take both a Jehu and the cooperation of the injured victims (spiritual eunuchs) to kill her again.
The Jezebel spirit is sociopathic. Characteristic traits you might observe:
1. They gain power by destroying others. It is like an adrenalin rush when they “win” over someone. They manage to get in positions of authority, and are difficult to displace, once there.
2. They are controlling, manipulative, bossy.
3. They can either be war-like in their personalities, so that they are intimidating,
so “sweet,” “perfect,” deceitful, “timid” and sneaky, they are able to fool and recruit others to join them. Sometimes they can be very charming and charismatic.
4. Critical of others, vicious to the point of blood-thirsty.
5. They are never wrong.
6. They recruit others in their charges against their victims. They act to persuade recruits, and do not give up this activity until the recruits are won over. If the potential recruits do not cooperate and buy into things, this angers them.
7. They are narcissic
. While they can tend to be oversensitive themselves, they have no concern for the feelings of others. They are not sympathetic to their victims, and tend to play the role of victim themselves, in order to gain sympathy. This way the real victim is left stranded, and opposed by others if they ask for help. Being the center of attention really pleases them.
8. They lie, and they believe their own lie. Avoiding the truth, or intentionally acting to withhold truth is part of this. False picture is presented to others.
9. Impulsive, failure to plan ahead. chaotic at times
10. Lack of remorse after hurting someone. they justify the harm.
11. Consistent irresponsibility.
12. Irritability, aggressiveness (open , or subtle), can be quick-tempered.
13. Failure to conform to social norms. person is an “outlier” or non-conformist. has their own ways.
14. Sequestors information, and is quite gifted in obtaining information. (Computer savvy)
15. Claims to religious sentiments, but very superficial in devotion. Born-again status is debatable, and unlikely, but would have to be evaluated on an individual basis.
16. Usually women, but can be men. The women tend to control their men with sex. And they pick passive men (Ahabs) so they can dominate them.
17. Usually married. If single, could be lesbian, homosexual man, or promiscuous man.
18. They falsely accuse you, and they do NOT forgive you, and never gives credit or gratitude.
19. Vengeful, sows discord, insinuates disapproval, commands attention.
20. Manipulator, ambitious, independent, know it all attitude, and spiritualizes everything.
….many other traits were found.
The aggressive types will use their authority to abuse, criticize, & threaten you, and try to have you discredited. The more sneaky types go into “victim” mode, immediately trying to solicit and recruit support, and make you look like you are the abusive one.
As one commenter stated: The person with this Spirit of Jezebel needs to learn the meaning of the word No!
After, this study I believe we all can relate to a trait or two. However, the main goal was to enlighten those of us who may have been misinformed in the past.